In the heartland of Tulsa, Oklahoma, Daniel Grothe grew up enveloped in the loving embrace of a pastor’s home. Faith and community were his foundation, guiding him through life’s ups and downs. But it was the unexpected twist that awaited him in Colorado Springs that would truly test his understanding of stability. Little did he know, the purchase of a piece of land would not only connect him to his childhood memories on his grandparents’ ranch in Idaho, but it would also reveal a deeper purpose – one that would forever alter the course of his life. Daniel’s narrative paints a vivid picture of connectedness, place, and stability. Taking cues from his grandparents, who lived in the same small town in Idaho for 86 years, he emphasizes the importance of belonging in a community and sustaining deep roots. He shares how location greatly impacts our sense of self-value and how living in a place for a long period allows us to forge deep relationships and develop a sense of community. This sense of belonging can tremendously enhance our self-value, reinforcing the idea that we are significant and valued members of our community. His perspectives are sure to challenge your thoughts and provide fresh insights.
We are living in a human experiment for the first time in human history… living as tourists instead of as members of a place we’re passing through. – Daniel Grothe
Loneliness is worse for our health than smoking a pack of cigarettes a day. – Daniel Grothe
In this episode, you will be able to:
- Understand how location influences self-value.
- Gain insight into how the places we inhabit shape our feelings of purpose.
- Learn how relationship-building serves as the groundwork for communal prosperity.
- Explore the detrimental effects of loneliness and the life-changing difference that authentic connections can make.
- Find out the critical role of stable roots in your journey towards personal growth.
- Recognize the unmatched value of familial bonds, friendships, religious communities, and local networks in nurturing holistic happiness.
The resources mentioned in this episode are:
- Listen to Daniel Grothe’s interview on Molly Stillman’s podcast.
- Read Daniel Grothe’s book, The Power of Place: Choosing Stability in a Rootless Age.
- Check out Daniel’s sermons on YouTube at New Life Friday Nights.
- Consider the power of place in your own life and how it impacts your sense of belonging and community.
- Reflect on the concept of social capital and how it relates to your decision-making process.
- Evaluate the cost-benefit of moving to a new place and consider the importance of social connections and community in that decision.
- Challenge yourself to think about membership in a place and the value of long-term relationships and roots.
- Interrogate the societal sadness that may be rooted in a lack of connection and belonging.
- Practice welcoming and including those who may not belong in your community or social circles.
- Find out more about the Operation Restoration Retreat at The Cove in Asheville, N.C., November 17-19, 2023.
Listen to a similar topic on this episode Living a Life Worthy of a Standing-Room Only Funeral with Kara Stott